Martin D. Watt, CPA
· Twenty years experience with ten years at senior management levels with standalone and multi-facility, multi-state organizations, both proprietary and not-for-profit.
· Expert in process improvement, regulatory compliance and internal control.
· Excellent small group facilitation, communication, problem solving, team- and consensus-building skills.
Iasis Healthcare, Franklin, Tennessee
Assistant Vice President of Physician Operations
2008 - Present
Responsible for building backoffice infrastructure and operations oversight for employed physician practices, including central business offices.
Created, implemented and managed central business office operations in each major market.
Created, implemented and managed accredited Central Verification Office for physician credentialing.
Total Care Management Associates, PLLC,
Vice President of Operations
for building backoffice infrastructure and operations oversight for physician
services company focused on inpatient hospital care. Directly responsible for
Martin D. Watt, CPA
Private Practice Healthcare Management Consulting
1993 1997, 2004 2007
Provided internal audit support
for 52-hospital acquisition, evaluating opening balance sheets, advising on
purchase accounting implications, and issues relating to consolidation of joint
ventures under ARB 51 and FIN 46 as published by the Financial Accounting
Standards Board. Also served as
Transitional CFO and lead consultant for healthcare acquisitions and related
integration issues for a regional home health provider and non-urban acute care
hospital, transitioning policies, procedures and strategic focus to proprietary
system ownership. Included budget
preparation, forecasts, capital needs analysis and conversion to standard
information systems. (Community Health Systems
Specialist for a publicly-traded global pharmaceutical testing company (clinical
research organization), and assisted in other internal audit functions. Focused on documentation, analysis of
internal control weaknesses and design/execution of global work plans, including
remediation of control weaknesses.
(Kendle International, Inc.
Consultant for rehabilitation,
ambulatory surgery, and long-term acute care facility operator, performing
comprehensive review of operations and cash flows for compliance with regulatory
and statutory bodies under the terms of a corporate integrity agreement.
Lead consultant for large
multi-specialty physician practice associated with large regional medical
center, reviewing for coding, compliance and billing issues along with
comprehensive revenue cycle review.
Transitional CFO for critical
access hospital with affiliated 8-physician practice and Rural Health
Clinic. (Ionia County Memorial
· Transitional CFO for national for-profit specialty healthcare providers, serving 9 facilities in 9 states. Particular success in restructuring revenue cycle and financial operations to achieve aggressive cash flow targets, achieving as much as 300% increase in cash flow over a five month period. Major responsibilities included transitioning acquisitions, turnaround operations, restructuring of management and staff responsibilities, budget preparation and staff training, along with forecasting and projections.(Psychiatric Solutions, Inc. - Texas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, New Jersey, Pennsylvania; ARTC, Inc. Tennessee and Missouri; Community Psychiatric Centers Kansas)
Managed discontinued operations
of 22 healthcare facilities in 7 states, with emphasis on accounts
receivable. (Hospital Corporation of
Responsible for overall financial oversight and management of multi-location organization as part of senior management team. Also responsible for information technology and systems, and risk management departments.
· Facilitated turn from $3.7 million operating loss to $1.1 million operating surplus in first year.
· Restructured financial reporting systems to produce data based decision-making support system.
· Planned and executed system integration plan for mission critical and financial systems.
Mercer Capital Management, Inc.,
Provide valuation services of long-term healthcare clients, commercial broadcast organizations and publication/media distribution outlets, as well asset holding companies (including family limited partnerships). Provided transaction advisory support for healthcare clients. Supported litigation issues in tax, family law and civil cases, and valuing disputed interests in dissenting shareholder legal actions.
· Instructed junior analytical staff in long-term healthcare reimbursement methodologies.
· Wrote articles for firm publications and national professional journals.
Deloitte & Touche llp,
1997 - 1998
Provided consulting services in Enterprise Integrity and Risk Assessments, Compliance and Internal Control Systems, Process Improvement and Strategic Planning for national healthcare clients. Formal training in small group facilitation and presentations through Control Self Assessment methodology.
· Project team member in devising methodology for the structure and implementation of an operationally integrated compliance program for a large, newly merged academic medical center.
· Led project and presentation team in developing and presenting strategic information systems integration plan for a small rural medical center, resulting in tighter internal control and stronger system reliability.
· Created compliance program benchmarking presentation for the nations largest non-profit HMO/Provider.
Hospital Corporation of
Chief Financial Officer,
Assistant Controller, HCA Indian Path
Arthur Andersen & Co., Audit
1986 - 1987
Member, AICPA and TSCPA, 1989-Present
Member, Healthcare Financial Management Association, 1991-Present
Member, National Council of Hospice and Palliative Care Professionals, 2001-Present
BBA, Accounting (cum laude),
Certificate in Hospice Administration Program, November 2003
Cost Containment in Hospice Organizations, National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization Management and Leadership Conference, 2003.
Your Financial Toolbox, National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization Management and Leadership Conference, 2003.
in Finance and Industry,
Who's Who Among